[ltp] font rendering

Antiphon linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 5 Jul 2004 03:43:58 -0500

On July 3, 2004 09:05 am, Hartwig, Thomas wrote:
> Hello Christoph,
>
> I can't believe it. It is working like charme. *echt beeindruckend*
> I will write a detailed report of this later if I investigated what is
> Freetype.org saying about this. I simply can't imagine that someone says
> you don't need the bytecoder interpreter.
>
> Following your detailed description (good work), the fonts are looking
> 100% in the way like windows. I'm afraid I'm voiding patent issues now?!
> What are the backgrounds of your knowledge about this? Is this a fraud now?

Why don't you post a screenshot. I find that with the bytecode interpreter
enabled that the antialiasing isn't as nice. If you're using an LCD screen,
generally speaking you should use font smoothing, imho. This is why in
Windows XP, Microsoft created a new version of its font rendering libraries
which antialiases every scalable font in all sizes.

Some people like the Microsoft way but in my opinion, FreeType's default font
smoothing is far crisper and more consistent than Microsoft's or FT with the
interpreter enabled. For instance, if you look at the Times New Roman font
with the MS-style hinting, you'll notice that the shape and size of the font
vary tremendously at 9pts, 12pts, and 14 pts. This should not happen and is
bad usability. Yet so many people have grown accustomed to this improper
rendering that they expect it. The aliased display of Times New Roman 12pt
bears very little resemblence to its printed appearance. Nor is that the case
only with Times New Roman. GUIs are supposed to be What You See is What You
Get, not What You See is What Microshaft Has Been Feeding You.

Despite my rant, I do believe that font rendering is a very subjective thing.
Why don't you post a link to a screenshot of your new desktop so that others
can compare it to the ones I posted?