[ltp] Trying to boot X31 (2672-C8G) from USB-Stick

Toens Bueker linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 5 Jul 2004 22:19:11 +0200

Nick Lidakis <nlidakis@verizon.net> wrote:

> >But I wasn't quite successful. I have verified, that the
> >usb stick is read during startup - at least the error
> >messages differ whether I use superfloppy ("Boot failed") or hard-disk
> >format ("MBR Boot failed"). Even "GRUB" is shown on the screen, after =
> >installed grub on the usb stick.
> >
> >I tried SPB-Linux (http://www.8ung.at/spblinux/) on the
> >stick but the kernel was not booted.
>
> This is from the feather linux website, but I think will work with=20
> whateve distro your trying to boot:

[...]

> I had to follow the last set of instructions first, then my Thinkpad X2=
2=20
> BIOS would boot the jump drive.

Hm. Same results. I wish I knew how to distinguish
"bootable" usb memory sticks from "unbootable".

What I have is an "Xstore USB Flash Drive". On the
packaging it says: "Three in one - Driveless, Bootable,
Security".=20

In the manual it says: "To use USB Flash DISK as a
bootable disk, please note, that it's necessary to
configure USB ZIP setting of the BIOS of your motherboard."

Hm. Can anybody advise, which usb memory stick to buy in
Germany, in order to be able to boot from it?

Thx.

by
T=F6ns
--=20