[ltp] Re: IR-DRIVER-TINY-HOWTO (Linux IrDA on a ThinkPad)]

Phil Stopford linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 06 Jul 2004 02:14:33 +0100

Hi folks,

I am a new subscriber to this list and am wading through the huge
archive of messages that I downloaded for reference from the list
server. I came across the list via the TINY-HOWTO mentioned in the
subject (also available from
http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/IR-DRIVER-TINY-HOWTO) and because I
am still unable to get IrDA running on a Thinkpad 600 using SuSE 9.1 Pro:

/dev/ttyS1 is set up as the IR port according to the information in the
document (COM2 (io=0x2f8, irq=3)), but uart is not listed in the output
of setserial. Using the following instructions from the HOWTO :

Add

         alias tty-ldisc-11    irtty

to /etc/conf.modules (this already exists in SuSE 9.1 Pro, but in
modprobe.conf) and do a `depmod -a'. Now, you need the
`irattach' utility:

         irattach /dev/ttyS1 -s

According to the HOWTO, the detection should start, but this doesn't
appear to be the case - a CCD shows no activity from the IR port at all.

Assuming that things might have changed, I moved to step 3b, but found
that irport doesn't seem to exist as a module so 'insmod irport io=0x2f8
irq=3' doesn't do anything. Has the module name changed since 2000 and
what should I be using? modprobe irda is possible and in fact SuSE
allows this to be added to the startup script, but it appears to do
nothing in terms of IR port activity (checking via CCD).

FIR also seems to be unavailable because there is no module with the
name nsc_fir in the 2.6.x kernel. The relevant 'insmod nsc_fir
dongle_id=0x09' instruction doesn't work as a result.

Note that the port does work without issue under XP Pro (verified with
CCD and Orange SPV cellular phone), but I am keen to be able to put
linux (of some form or other, not necessarily SuSE) on this machine. I
can live with the sound dying following a suspend event, but IR is vital
for on the road email access.

I'd *really* appreciate any pointers, documents or tools to simplify
getting this working (and any hints about getting the sound to work
after a suspend event). I'm still wading through the 18,000+ messages in
the archive, but hoped this post might yield faster results :)

Phil.