[ltp] off topic: removing intel cpu sticker

Tony Whitmore linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 06 Jul 2004 06:47:07 +0100

Jacob Lilly wrote:
> This is basically 50% off topic, no linux, but it does relate to
> Thinkpads.  I have a T40 and the intel provided sticker is starting to
> rub off.  Anyone have any suggestions for a non-caustic removal
> method?  The plastic is starting to seperate from the rest of it, so
> I'd like to get it all off.  Soaking in water is clearly not an
> option, so does anyone know some sort of sticker removal that won't
> make my Thinkpad into an expensive paper weight?

Well, the same thing happened on my R40 - I think the position of the
stickers to be under the left wrist is likely to encourage it to rub
off. The Windows XP sticker went first on mine - no loss there.

Once it had lost all of the logo, the actual base of the sticker started
  to move on the surface of the laptop - I must have heavy wrists. I
peeled the sticker base off and after a couple of minutes with a tissue
and a little spittle the area underneath was clean and as good as new.

An alternative would be some label remover, available as a spray from
most electronics retailers - RS in the UK, for example - which would be
best applied via a tissue to the area after the sticker base has been
removed.

HTH,

Tony