[ltp] off topic: removing intel cpu sticker

Eric C. Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 07:54:26 -0400

On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 10:04:22PM -0500, Jacob Lilly wrote:
> This is basically 50% off topic, no linux, but it does relate to
> Thinkpads.  I have a T40 and the intel provided sticker is starting to
> rub off.  Anyone have any suggestions for a non-caustic removal
> method?  The plastic is starting to seperate from the rest of it, so
> I'd like to get it all off.  Soaking in water is clearly not an
> option, so does anyone know some sort of sticker removal that won't
> make my Thinkpad into an expensive paper weight?

After removing the top (foil) layer, I used a piece of masking tape to
remove the sticky residue with excellent results.  I didn't want to
risk using a solvent.

I actually used a piece of tape that IBM had on one of the plastic
bags in the original package (because I removed the Intel and Windows
stickers within minutes of opening the box!)  I suggest experimenting
with different kinds of tape to find one with just enough tackiness.

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u