[ltp] Still no serial port access on ThinkPad X21 with UltraBay

nut megger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 06:32:52 -0700 (PDT)

Story: continued three month long serial device saga.

Problem: cannot use external modem on serial port on
ThinkPad X21 Ultrabay

Latest attempts (using Fedora Core 2, Mandrake 10.0,
Mandrake 9.1, SuSe 9.1):

1. BIOS: serial port enabled

dmesg | grep tty recognizes ttyS0 at I/O 0x3F8 (IRQ=4)
is a 16850A

minicom cannot see modem on ttyS0 (no error message,
no nothing, echo on)

2. BIOS: serial port moved to 2E8 IRQ3

dmesg | grep tty recognizes ttyS3 at I/O 0x2E8 (IRQ=3)
is a 16850A

minicom cannot see modem on ttyS3 (no error message,
no nothing, echo on)

Conclusion: still cannot use Linux to access external
modem on serial port of ThinkPad X21 UltraBay

Aside: I’m getting real good at loading different
Linux distributions from scratch (fedora core 2 is the
easiest and quickest)