[ltp] Re: Refurbing a TP600e 21645-5JU for Knoppix/Linux

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 10:29:45 -0500 (CDT)

> From: tp600e@rccons.com
> Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 13:38:05 -0400

I've read one reply to this, and there may be others, but I hope I can add
something useful. I own one 600E and "manage" another, and I own a 600X.

> I have been given a refugee TP600e 2645-5JU and have decided to refurb
> it from its last state.

> 1) MAX Memory out. Based on research the MAX RAM is 288MB for the
> 2645-5JU model, correct? I've heard that *some* TP600e can handle 556MB
> via 2 256K SO-DIMMS (low density 8 chips per side), but OFFICIALLY per:
> http://www- 3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-
> 4E4RG3 the 5JU does NOT support this upgrade in BIOS and memory option.
> Any one had success with 256MB RAM modules in the 2645-5JU?

I don't know anyone who has gotten 256MB to work in a 600E in which IBM
says it won't. That being said, I would still give it a try after a BIOS
update.

If it doesn't work, you could get a replacement mainboard from eBay from a
machine that can handle the 256MB parts. 600E parts are starting to get
pretty cheap.

> 2) DVD-ROM/CD-ROM upgrade to a DVD-R/RW/CD-ROM drive.

I got nothing for you there. I always back up to my network.

> 3) Any processor upgrades for this model? Its not a real priority and
> may not do it at all, but I may look into it should I find the right &
> compatible module to plug in at a deal. It seems pretty speedy for 366
> under Lin ux even running the live CD. Just curious to know my options
> should I run across the right module at a deal. Putting $200+ into it
> for a CPU may not be worth it v. using the money for a new machine, but
> at the right price .

As written before, you can go to a 400MHz PII. I just did it, and it made
a noticeable difference. In my case, I also broke a trace on the keyboard
connector so had to replace the keyboard, so learn from my mistake and be
very gentle with the flexible connectors.

I got the CPU on eBay for $9.50, so you may well consider that worthwhile.
I did. Then again, I went from 300MHz to 400.

> 4) Hard Disks Internal - From the lists it seems that just about any
> drive has been successful in the TP600e. So I will pick up a caddy on
> EBay and then add a HD. Any one have a favorite or preference on drives.

Get a newer drive with fluid bearings. They are nice and quiet. I have a
40GNX in my 600X, and I'm thrilled with it.

> 5) Hard Disks for the slim bay. Whats needed to put a HD into the slim
> bay to swap with the CD, DVD, Floppy? A carrier that adapts the plugs
> for the drive to the bay and a caddy to hold the drive in the carrier?

CD, DVD and floppy are all already set to go in the UltraSlimBay. The hard
disk needs an adapter. I usually leave my floppy in the special floppy
caddy connected to my SelectaBase 600.

> 6) Whats the best source of new or refurb'd batteries for BOTH the
> regular battery slot and the battery that fits in the slim bay.

eBay has good deals on batteries, if you're careful. I keep UltraSlimBay
batteries in both my machines. I can't remember if the UltraSlimBay
battery is supported in all 600E models or only those that can take the
256MB memory parts. I'm sure you can look that up.

I found factory sealed UltraSlimBay batteries on eBay for $25 each.
Contrary to everything I've read that says they should be as good as dead,
they add about two hours to run time and appear to work as good as new.

New batteries for the main slot are much more expensive. I only buy new
ones from eBay and have had good luck.

> 7) Case clean up.

Ask Vicky and other custom painters what works for them.

> 8) Was there an internal 10BaseT network card for the 2645-5JU ?  Or
> just the MWave Modem?

No internal network.

> 9) To confirm from research that solution to this symptom:
>
> LCD Screen will blink on and off, and hitting Fn-F7 several times will
> normally bring it back to viewable and then after a while stay there.
> Its not that the screen is totally blank you can faintly see the screen
> if you l ook close.
>
> Based on this symptom and research the LCD Inverter needs to be
> replaced. Correct?

That's probably close. You may also have a loose lid closure switch. If
you have the machine set to not suspend when closed, then closing the lid
should only turn off the backlight.

A new keyboard assembly should fix that, as a last resort or quick fix.

> 10) Docking Stations and Port replicators. My head is spinning I've seen
> so many. Can some one please break it down on the docking stations and
> port replicator options and what they include and thier benefits if any.
> Main use will be as a Linux/Knoppix Laptop which will do mostly email,
> web, some word processing etc.. Ability to connect to 1xRTT and QNC
> style cell net access as well in places with out a LAN or in the case of
> work in place of their LAN to bypass their draconian net use rules.

You'll need a SelectaBase 600, about $10 on eBay. That's what I use most
frequently. I have it hooked up to a KVM switch at my desk, and have my
PDA dock plugged into that as well. I can sync over USB when docked or IR
when on the go.

You can then in turn put that into a SelectaDock I, II or III. I have a
III, which has three PCI slots, some number of ISA slots, two CardBus
slots, an IDE controller, a SCSI controller, bigger speakers with a volume
control, an internal power supply and probably a lot more than that. I
never use it.

You can buy a dock III on eBay "New" for about $16.

> 1) New or Refurb'd (new cells) battery
> 2) Update BIOS
> 3) Add MAX RAM either 2 128MB or 2 256MB
> 4) Install Knoppix to HD

RAM will be more expensive than a CPU upgrade, but probably more useful
too.

> For a free laptop that works pretty good and needs a little TLC to bring
> back to life v. $700 + for a new one I think I can handle it being a
> litte out dated speed wise. Knoppix seems to be pretty speedy even on
> the live CD.

You could have bought this particular machine on eBay for about $275, but
it's still better when it's free.

Chris Schumann