[ltp] Still no serial port access on ThinkPad X21 with UltraBay

nut megger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:24:17 -0700 (PDT)

--- nut megger <bmw_nutmegger@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Story: continued three month long serial device
> saga.
>
> Problem: cannot use external modem on serial port on
> ThinkPad X21 Ultrabay
>
> Latest attempts (using Fedora Core 2, Mandrake 10.0,
> Mandrake 9.1, SuSe 9.1):
>
> 1. BIOS: serial port enabled
> dmesg | grep tty recognizes ttyS0 at I/O 0x3F8
> (IRQ=4)
> is a 16850A
> minicom cannot see modem on ttyS0 (no error message,
> no nothing, echo on)
> 2. BIOS: serial port moved to 2E8 IRQ3
> dmesg | grep tty recognizes ttyS3 at I/O 0x2E8
> (IRQ=3)
> is a 16850A
> minicom cannot see modem on ttyS3 (no error message,
> no nothing, echo on)
> Conclusion: still cannot use Linux to access
> external modem on serial port of ThinkPad X21
UltraBay

New Conclusion and New Solution:

I have come to the conclusion that I can focus all my
energy trying to make this happen and spend no time
enjoying Linux over WinBlows.  So, I just acquired a
PCMCIA fax/modem card and hopefully when I install the
card along Linux tonight for the 200th time the new
card will be automatically recognized and I'll finally
get to log on to my ISP from my Linux ThinkPad X21.
Should I be worried?