[ltp] Still no serial port access on ThinkPad X21 with UltraBay

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 17:16:40 -0400

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:24:17 -0700 (PDT)
nut megger <bmw_nutmegger@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have come to the conclusion that I can focus all my
> energy trying to make this happen and spend no time
> enjoying Linux over WinBlows.  So, I just acquired a
> PCMCIA fax/modem card and hopefully when I install the
> card along Linux tonight for the 200th time the new
> card will be automatically recognized and I'll finally
> get to log on to my ISP from my Linux ThinkPad X21.
> Should I be worried?

As long as it's not a winmodem, all you should need to do is plug it in
using any modern Linux distribution.  For an X21, there might be drivers
for the built-in modem (if it's a Lucent.  If it's the 3COM, it's a
paperweight.)

Me, I had an X20 with the 3Com combo card - the ethernet worked fine, but
the modem was a paperweight.  I bought a Lucent/Intel combo card from
Ebay, popped it in under the X20's keyboard, and had working modem AND
ethernet ports.  After all, the whole point of an X20 is that it's very
portable.  Carrying around more junk you have to plug in is no fun. :)

Do any USB modems work with Linux?  That way you might be able to get
modem access without carrying around the extra bulk from the bay.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/