[ltp] Re: IR-DRIVER-TINY-HOWTO (Linux IrDA on a ThinkPad)]

Phil Stopford linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 07 Jul 2004 01:52:07 +0100

Tony Whitmore wrote:

> Phil Stopford wrote:
>
>> Phil Stopford wrote:
>>
>>> I'd *really* appreciate any pointers, documents or tools to simplify
>>> getting this working (and any hints about getting the sound to work
>>> after a suspend event). I'm still wading through the 18,000+
>>> messages in the archive, but hoped this post might yield faster
>>> results :)
>>>
>>> Phil.
>>>

>> In follow up to this, I see the following output in /var/log/messages
>>
>> irattach: irattach: tty: set_disc(11): Bad file descriptor
>> irattach: Stopping device /dev/ttyS1
>> irattach: ioctl(SIOCGIFFLAGS): No such device
>> irattach: exiting ...
>>
>> I'm not sure if that helps to explain what might be going on. All
>> work so far has been based around the 2.6.5 kernel if that is also
>> helpful.
>

> Just to check, but is the IrDA port detected by the kernel in the
> first place? The output of "dmesg | grep tty" should show a line
> relating the IrDA port to a serial port.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tony

All I get from dmesg | grep tty is the following :

ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a NS16550A

I have since found a document suggesting the following changes, which I
have made, but that doesn't appear to have helped :

/etc/sysconfig/irda :

IRDA_PORT="irda0"

This was pointing at /dev/ttyS1

also in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts

exclude irq 3

has been enabled. I can now start and stop IrDA without issue (stopping
it used to fail).

There was a suggestion to add an alias for a module to modprobe.conf,
but I got tied up with other chores today. I'd like to know if I'm
heading i the right direction, though.

The majority of this was found from http://www.designisdead.com/ferrari/
in case that helps. I know it's a different laptop, but the module
mentioned and the settings, etc. are all identical to those seen
elsewhere in relation to IrDA on Thinkpad 600.

If anyone from SuSE looks at this list, they really need to improve the
IrDA documentation in their manuals. :(

Phil.