[ltp] T40p radeon or fglrx

Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:46:29 +0200

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 12:41:36 +0200, Hartwig, Thomas wrote:
> Hello Tino and Flavio,
>
> Flavio: I copy this email to you, which was discussed on a mailing list.
> I think it could be helpful for your site about ATI linux driver. It
> handles comparision of the standard radeon module by x.org and the
> driver provided by ATI.
>
> Tino: Thanks for you suggestions, but I think it is a fault to use
> fgl_glxgears for benchmarking with just the statement "use it in the
> default windows size and fgl_glxgears uses complex methods"

Why? You compared the numbers you measured with glxgears with the
numbers other measured with fgl_glxgeares, which is a completely other
application and only has a name which sounds like glxgears. That's why
I suggested you to use fgl_glxgears, too, since it seems you were
puzzled by the big difference on the same hardware.

> 1. For a comparision you should always use exact sizes, default size can
> change anytime.
>
> 2. Why not use a standard benchmark test with glxgears which uses common
> GL library?! Have you read about benchmark tweaking even by graphic
> board vendors?! And I want to use common GL applications and not just

Yes, I have.

> fgl_glxgears. So I would highly encourage to use the standard, so it is
> even comparable with others.

But I wouldn't use glxgears for that. It is far away from a benchmark
which produces meaningful numbers. I's just a test if 3D graphics is
working and gives some FPS numbers as a side effect.

Regards,
Tino