[ltp] Thinkpad A21P Ethernet

Bill Hudacek linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 16:31:25 -0400

I am not advancing any hypothesis here, only reporting direct experience.

I upgraded my a21p from Mandrake 9.1 to 10.0 official, and with the very
next reboot, the built-in 3com min-PCI network card was toast.

Long pauses, kernel messages, the device was there but communication was
not possible.  Bad news.

It could be coincidence, but I've heard before of operating systems that
have trashed the firmware in cd-rom drives, cd-rw drives, even motherboard
CMOS/BIOS areas.  I've never heard of a thinkpad being affected in this
way, however.  Nonetheless, the latest Mandrake and the latest SuSE no
doubt share some common elements........

I'm back on mandrake 9.1, and using two PC cards instead of one PC card +
the built-in interface...because when I booted back into 9.1 the built-in
interface was still "OTL".  I ripped it out of the box, as it was still
recognized on the bus :-(

F.Y.I.  I don't know if it'll help you or anyone else...as for me, it's
time to try Fedora core 2...

Regards,

Bill Hudacek
IBM Global Services

"CERT recommends that [Internet] Explorer users consider other browsers
that
are not affected by the attack, such as Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox, Netscape
and
Opera.  Mac, Linux and other non-Windows operating systems are immune from
this attack. For people who continue to use the Internet Explorer, CERT
and
Microsoft recommend setting the browser's security settings to "high," but
that can impair some browsing functions." - Washington Post
( http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6746-2004Jun25.html )

P.S. Any & all statements that appear in this message do not in any way
reflect the positions of my employer.  Of course.

klaus.edel@unisg.ch
Sent by: linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org
07/09/04 11:02 AM
Please respond to
linux-thinkpad

linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
cc

Subject
[ltp] Thinkpad A21P Ethernet

My Thinkpad A21 has a 3COM  10/100 Mini PCI Ethernet Adapter.
With Suse 8.1  the Ethernet worked, if I have set an option with booting,
I do not know any more what it was (acpi=off? apm=off and same else).
Now I have installed Suse 9.1 I can  not run my ethernet adapter.
Does anyone know what to do ?
Thank
Klaus