[ltp] ntfsresize vs. the predesktop partition

Bertrand Servin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:39:18 -0700

Hi,

Toens Bueker wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> after booting from the usb memory stick is no longer a
> problem, I can face the next challenge:
>
> I ordered my X31 with an 80 GB disk. XP was already
> installed on it - covering all 80 GB.
>
> In order to install Linux, I plan to use ntfsresize to
> shrink the NTFS partition.
>
> Is it possible, that I destroy the predesktop area, when
> resizing the NTFS partition, even when I use the "normal"
> setting for accessing the predesktop area in the BIOS
> (which means, that it is not visible for fdisk)?

I did resize the NTFS partition on my T42 without destroying
the predesktop area at all. I booted the "System Rescue CD" available
here : http://www.sysresccd.org/ and run qtparted, which provides
a nice GUI for partitioning the hard disk and uses ntfsresize to
resize the NTFS partition. I can still enter the predesktop area
at boot time.

BTW, on the T42, the predesktop area is at the very end of the hard
disk.

--
Bertrand