[ltp] Resize

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 12:24:37 -0400

On Sunday 11 July 2004 19:35, after a long battle with technology, Bugix
wrote:
> I have IBM T30 with preinstalled windows xp pro, and now i wanna
> install linux. But i have a question: what tool [do] i need [to] use
> to [resize the 'DozeXP] partition without [losing] my info?

ntfsresize can shrink NTFS partitions non-destructively.  ntfsresize is
on the first CD of most distros and some newbie-friendly distros like
Mandrake will run ntfsresize automagically if the installer detects a
single NTFS partition that covers the entire disk.  Remember that Linux
can't reliably write to NTFS filesystems yet (though things are getting
better all the time) so you'll either have to reinstall 'DozeXP and
force it to use FAT32 or create a FAT32 partition on your disk if you
want to share data between your OSes.  HTH,

--
   Programmers are playwrights, computers are lousy actors,
   Users are vicious drama critics,