[ltp] Disk damage?

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:55:08 -0400

On Tuesday 13 July 2004 14:43, after a long battle with technology, Ch.
Veith wrote:
> I got a strange morning today...When I was booting my R40 I was
> wondering why my normal-user could not login to X-server, but root
> could! I thought that it might be a matter of diskspace and called df
> -h. It told me that that 0% were free

For ext[23] filesystems, the reserved blocks percentage is set to 5% by
default.  UID 0 (root) is the only user who can use any of the reserved
blocks.  So root could create whatever temporary files were needed but
a normal user couldn't.

> After some testing around I removed another 2GB, and got:
> /dev/hda2              37G   33G  1.7G  96% /

See above.  If you only have one partition, you should *NOT* set the
reserved block percentage to 0%, but if you have /home, /var, /usr,
and /whatever , you can set the percentage to 0% on everything but /var
and / .  5% may be too much for large filesystems, but in your case I
wouldn't go below 2%.  "man tune2fs" for info on how to change the
reserved block percentage.

> So I called fsck.ext3 which told me, that 7.5% of my disk were
> non-contiguous. Are these 7.5% the missing 2GB ???

No.

--
   People don't tend to get paid.
   --MegaHAL, trained on Netizen's quotes file