[ltp] TP 760 ED BIOS issues?

Max T. Woodbury linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 01:37:32 -0400

Robert Hollis wrote:

> PS2.exe is the DOS version. Another version would run under
> Win98 (or PS2.exe would run in MS-DOS mode). hdparm would be
> used to setup hard drive parameters. (added to boot sequence)
>
> Robert Hollis
> 630-568-1491 (T/L 994)
> e-mail - vdrlholl@us.ibm.com
>
> IBM
> Two Lincoln Centre
> Oakbrook Terrace, IL  60181

Picked up the latest version from the IBM web site.  There are
several problems.

1) It reported the same information that the windows GUI reports
for the machine with respect to PCMCIA.  It changed the value
seen by lspci -vv from 0 to 255.  Not really an improvement.

2) It did point up an IRQ conflict between the MIDI/SB and the
PCMCIA socket.  I had not noticed this before because I was not
using the SB/MIDI capabilities of the machine, as far as I know.

Removing the conflict did NOT fix the problem.

3) I also tried 'setpci ... interrupt_line=5'.  Also 1, 2, 3, 4
and 6.  No joy.

4) hdparm will NOT turn on DMA for the IDE drives on this machine.
The MAINTAINER (Bart Z.) on the linux-ide list said the condition
that produced the line about the port being disabled was the cause
of the problem and that the port had to be enabled in the BIOS in
order to get DMA to work properly.  If it was working properly,
DMA would be enabled by default in the PIIXa initialization sequence.

5) None of the documented PS2 commands even hint at enabling ports
or turning on DMA.  The ThinkPad GUI for Windows doesn't mention it
either.  The DMA option in Device Manager is grayed out under
Windows.

>  "Max T. Woodbury" <max.teneyck.woodbury@verizon.net>
>  Sent by: linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org
>
>  07/13/2004 01:59 PM
>  Please respond to
>    linux-thinkpad

Sorry.  I'm more than a little short on sleep.

Max