[ltp] TP 760 ED BIOS issues?

Max T. Woodbury linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:26:38 +0100

James Knott wrote:

> PS/2 refers to a computer line, not software.  It's likely a DOS
> utility, which can run under Windows or OS/2 as well.

Argh.  Of course you're right.  I knew that at some level, but I was
too short on sleep to realize it.

Still, PS2.EXE does not have any commands that seem to address the
issue the people in the linux-ide list raised about the PIIXa driver
thinking the 'ports' are disabled.  If anybody knows what is going on
with this, please let me know.  In the mean time I'll try to dig the
context of that notice out of the kernel sources.

I did try to get the PCMCIA part working.  I did have the kernel-pcmcia...
package loaded, so that is not the problem.  I checked/reconfirmed the
IRQ setup with PS2.EXE.  It thinks the IRQ for the cards is 5.  lspci
thinks it is set to 0.  setpci -s 0:2 reports interrupt_line as 'ff'.
I can set it to 5 with setpci but lspci using the normal /proc access
does not see the change.  If I tell lspci '-H 1' (or something like that),
it sees the new settings.  The change does NOT survive a reboot and is
NOT seen by the 'service pcmcia start' sequence.  I'll try the linux-*
lists on the pci/pcmcia problem.

If somebody has technical details on this, I'd like to know what is
going on.  Particularly useful would be details on where the '5' (and
other numbers like it) are stored and where that 'ff' comes from.

Max