[ltp] cpufreqd configuration examples wanted

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:43:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Joachim Schrod wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Anybody has a cpufreqd.conf tailored for TP that he may share?
>
> As far as I understand speedstep-centrino.c, TPs have only discrete
> set of speeds to switch to. The example cpufreqd configurations from
> the distribution codes the target speed as percent values which are
> generic, but do not match the speed steps, as the percent values
> don't match the available steps. I'd like to see how others have done
> that adaption.
>
> Anybody else here using cpufreqd? (I cannot use powernowd, as I'm
> still using a 2.4 kernel.) If not, what are you using, with what
> experience?

With 2.4 kernel (FC1 default) I use cpudyn for userland control. The
CPU is 1.6GHz P-M - and cpudyn uses 600MHz/1.6GHz stages and ignores
all other stages.

FC2 default kernel (2.6) comes with cpuspeed userland controller -
which can use all the discrete stages on this chip.

I prefer cpudyn way of doing this for the laptop (why bother with the
intermediate stages - When there is load - go full throttle -
otherwise save power).

Satish