[ltp] cpufreqd configuration examples wanted

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:48:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Eric Covener wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:43:43 -0500 (CDT), Satish Balay
> <balay@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> I prefer cpudyn way of doing this for the laptop (why bother with the
>> intermediate stages - When there is load - go full throttle -
>> otherwise save power).
>
> I mostly prefer the extremes as well, however cpudyn is independent of
> whether you're plugged in, whereas cupfreqd allows you to setup your
> profiles with that as a factor.

cpuspeed from FC2 also appears to have this option (with
ACPI). However I never felt a need for it.

Most of the userland tools (cpudyn/cpuspeed) support a way to force to
one state or the other..

killall -SIGUSR2 cpudynd  [to force low freq]
killall -SIGHUP cpudynd   [to restore dynamic change]

With APM - I would think its possible to change some apm config - to
execute these extra commands - when switching to and from battery
mode.  A bit more work - than having a nice option to set it up - as
you say in the deamons profile. :)

Satish