[ltp] TP 760 ED BIOS issues?

Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:46:26 +0200

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 09:22:28 -0400, Max T. Woodbury wrote:
> Tino Keitel wrote:
> >
> > > Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00beta4-2.4
> > > ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
> > > PIIXa: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:01.0
> > > PIIXa: chipset revision 2
> > > PIIXa: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> > > PIIXa: neither IDE port enabled (BIOS)
> > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > I had the same message on my TP765L. I wrote a kernel patch which
> > tweaks DMA port detection to use a hardcoded address, which gives
> > me DMA transfers for the hard disk. I will search for it on my hard
> > drive and send it to you.
>
> Thank you for confirming that there is a problem here.  I'd like to
> see that patch.

See the attachment for a patch against 2.4.22. It works on my 765L and
enables DMA for the primary master IDE device. It uses a fixed DMA base
of 0xfcf0. I got this address from the Windows driver. This address was
shown there on the hardware resources page. Here are the kernel
messages with a patched kernel (2.4.23):

PIIXa: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:01.0
PIIXa: chipset revision 2
PIIXa: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
PIIXa: ignoring disabled ide0 of my IBM ThinkPad 765L
PIIXa: dma_base is invalid (0x0000)
PIIXa: force dma_base to 0xfcf0 to enable DMA transfers
PIIXa: on IBM ThinkPad 765L
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xfcf0-0xfcf7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
                                                  ^^^^^^^
hda: IBM-DPLA-25120, ATA DISK drive

> On the other hand, I'd also like to be able to fix the BIOS problem
> since it might help when I run the machine under Windows.  Does
> anybody have any technical information about how I might be able to
> do this?

Well, with the proper driver for the Intel chipset, I got DMA transfers
in Windows. Actually, this fact made me try to enable DMA in Linux as
well.

Regards,
Tino