[ltp] SuSe 9.1 Personal edition on ThinkPad X1: Howto install new rpm using YaST?

nut megger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 05:06:34 -0700 (PDT)

Topic: YaST and adding a new rpm.

Being a very raw newbie with SuSe, I decided to give
YaST a spin.  Downloaded a few new rpms from SuSe’s
web site on my high speed connection at work using
winblows xp pro (I still use an old dial up connection
to earthlink at home), transferred the rpms to CD.
Took the CD home and now want to install them.

Using the root account on SuSe 9.1 personal edition, I
put the CD into the drive and it immediately showed me
the files on the CD.  Highlighted one rpm and the file
manager asked me if I wanted to install the rpm using
YaST.  I said yes.  The system hummed for a while and
then asked me to put in the SuSe 9.1 CD 1.  Why?  The
rpm I want is on the CD I burned at work.

Then used YaST to indicate the current burned CD is a
new source (have no idea what I am doing here) and
could not do anything with this fresh disk loaded with
newly downloaded rpms.

Can someone take me step by step through installing a
new rpm from a non-official SuSe cd using YaST?

Note: NOT interested in using terminal commands since
it defeats the purpose of having YaST.

Very much appreciated!