[ltp] Re: SuSe 9.1 Personal edition on ThinkPad X1: Howto install new rpm using YaST?

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 23:26:14 +1000

On 16 Jul 2004, nut megger wrote:
> Topic: YaST and adding a new rpm.
>
> Being a very raw newbie with SuSe, I decided to give YaST a spin.
> Downloaded a few new rpms from SuSe's web site on my high speed
> connection at work using winblows xp pro (I still use an old dial up
> connection to earthlink at home), transferred the rpms to CD. Took the
> CD home and now want to install them.
>
> Using the root account on SuSe 9.1 personal edition, I put the CD into
> the drive and it immediately showed me the files on the CD.
> Highlighted one rpm and the file manager asked me if I wanted to
> install the rpm using YaST. I said yes. The system hummed for a while
> and then asked me to put in the SuSe 9.1 CD 1. Why? The rpm I want is
> on the CD I burned at work.

At a guess, the RPM you downloaded has a dependency on another file or
package, and YaST consulted a database and determined that the dependent
package can be found on SuSe 9.1 CD 1.

That said, you will probably get better results on a SuSe specific
mailing list, where people have domain-specific knowledge of the tools
in question.

Regards,
       Daniel
--
Every man who knows how to read has it in his power to magnify
himself, to multiply the ways in which he exists, to make his