[ltp] 2 Computer Simple Network

Tony Whitmore linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:20:20 +0100

SOTL wrote:
> Hi All
>
> What is the simplest way to network 2 computers?
>
> Computers are: 1 Mandrake 9.1 and 1 MS Windows 98
> Also there is a WWW DSL line and a hub currently connecting them together.
>
> The hub could easely be replaced with a fire wall and probably should be but
> the base system is not mine [I am at work] not is the Win 98 box. The
> Mandrake 9.1 is in my person laptop.

If the DSL line is connected to the hub via an ADSL modem and an
ethernet cable, it will already be doing some routing and probably
includes a simple NAT firewall. This is usually considered sufficient to
protect a small network.

> What I would like to do is read and write files to and from the Win 98 box
> with the Mandrake laptop.
>
> I have no desires for the Win 98 box to read or write or even see the Mandrake
> box. Simply place I have no desires to change it configuration except as the
> minimun required for the Mandrake box to perform desired functions.

You'll be needing Samba to accomplish this, more specfically tools like
smbclient and the necessary kernel modules to mount remote SMB shares.
These should be included in Mandrake by default, but check by looking
for the "smbmount" program.

You can then use "mount" to mount a share on a remote Windows box to a
mount point on your Linux box and copy files to and from it.

HTH,

Tony