[ltp] 2 Computer Simple Network

Richard Griffith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:37:17 -0400

SOTL wrote:

> Computers are: 1 Mandrake 9.1 and 1 MS Windows 98
> Also there is a WWW DSL line and a hub currently connecting them together.
> What I would like to do is read and write files to and from the Win 98 box
> with the Mandrake laptop.

Frank,

If you enable file sharing on the Windows box and share the drive or
folder you need to access. This is part of W98, but might need to have
components installed if the file and print sharing option is not already
enabled.

On the Mandrake side, install the LinNeighborhood package. It will allow
you to discover, mount and unmount the windows shared resources. There
are lower level ways to accomplish the mounting, but LinNeighborhood as
packaged with Mandrake makes the whole process very easy, and takes care
of the smbclient details and a lot of other subtleties.

Good luck,
-Richard