[ltp] sound problem (r40)

Luke Yelavich linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:03:21 +1000

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 01:15:20AM EST, Philip Kiwan wrote:
> hey
> i installed slack 10 and i have this problem with sound .. i have no sound,
> and when X is running, i have this error in the first terminal:
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:549:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_OCM_IOTCL_START failed:
> Broken Pipe
>
> and when i start alsamixer it doesnt run and i get the following message:
> "No mixer elems found"
>
> anyone has an idea ?

Are you running the default Slack kernel, or have you built your own? If running
the default Slackware kernel, make sure you have the alsa packages from the l/
and ap/ directories installed. If you have a custom kernel built, make sure you
have built the latest alsa drivers against your kernel. You will still need the
alsa-lib, alsa-utils, and if needed, alsa-oss installed.

I would personally also unpack the original alsa-driver package and grab the
/etc/rc.d/rc.alsa script and put it in the right location, as it is quite handy
to have it run to make sure your mixer settings are loaded.

hth

Luke