[ltp] vmware on ibm t30

Paul Reynolds linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:14:43 +1000

--=_alternative 007F2E0B4A256ED5_=

linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org wrote on 07/16/2004 06:37:34 PM:

> Hello All,
>
> Has anyone tried and successfully setup VMware with the following
> configuration on IBM T30?
>
>    Host OS - Win XP
>    Guest OS - RH Linux 7.3 (With X Server support)
>    VMware - VMWare Workstation 4.5.2
>

> My problem is with the X Server. It fails to launch. The problem
> is in the display settings.
>
> To those who have successfully configured X, please send to me
> your XF86Config file. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Ronnel
>
> --

Hi Ronnel,

The problem you are having is not related to your thinkpad being a T30,
but the way you are installing the RH 7.3.

I have installed lots of different versions of linux inside VMware and
this is what I have discovered:

1.  Always install Linux in text mode.  (just type linux text at the
installer command line when the installer first starts up)
2. Do not configure X (you will install VMware tools later on after the
installation and this will configure X)
3. After the install has finished make sure it starts in text mode (boot
level 3)
4. Install VMware tools.  (This will setup X for you as well as getting
other hardware to run and enable you to share folders with the host OS)
5. type startx

After these general rules you should be able to use X without problems.

Have a look at the VMware help  on how to install Guest OSe's.  It will
have the same information.

Cheers

Paul

FYI: VMware virtualises the PC's hardware so it doesn't matter if you are
running VMware on a T30 or a Thinkcenter or whatever hardware you like the
"VMware" hardware will always appear the same.

--=_alternative 007F2E0B4A256ED5_=

06:37:34 PM:<br>
&gt; Hello All,<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Has anyone tried and successfully setup VMware with the following<br>
&gt; configuration on IBM T30?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp;Host OS - Win XP<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp;Guest OS - RH Linux 7.3 (With X Server support)<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp;VMware - VMWare Workstation 4.5.2<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; My problem is with the X Server. It fails to launch. The problem<br>
&gt; is in the display settings.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; To those who have successfully configured X, please send to me<br>
&gt; your XF86Config file. Any help is greatly appreciated.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt; Ronnel<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; -- <br>
&gt; The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>
&gt; http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad</tt></font>
to your thinkpad being a T30, but the way you are installing the RH 7.3.
&nbsp;</font>
of linux inside VMware and this is what I have discovered:</font>
mode. &nbsp;(just type linux text at the installer command line when the
installer first starts up)</font>
VMware tools later on after the installation and this will configure X)</font>
sure it starts in text mode (boot level 3)</font>
will setup X for you as well as getting other hardware to run and enable
you to share folders with the host OS)</font>
be able to use X without problems.</font>
how to install Guest OSe's. &nbsp;It will have the same information.</font>
so it doesn't matter if you are running VMware on a T30 or a Thinkcenter
or whatever hardware you like the &quot;VMware&quot; hardware will always
</tt></font>
--=_alternative 007F2E0B4A256ED5_=--