[ltp] T20 and floppy/cdrom swapping

Joachim Schrod linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:56:41 +0200

MG> On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:32:49PM +0200, Edi Weitz wrote:

>> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:27:31 +0300, Marius Gedminas <mgedmin@b4net.lt> wrote:
>>
>> > I've only done warm swapping (while suspended).
>>
>> And that works without problems?

MG> Yes.  To be more precise, I once swapped a DVD-ROM drive with a
MG> different DVD-ROM drive.  It worked.

To ack that: I use 2.4 and APM. For swap, I suspend to RAM (Fn+F4).
Without suspend, the system beeps.

Exchanging DVD/CD-RW with CD-ROM drive or with floppy drive works
without problems; exchanging Ultrabay disk with floppy drive works,
too. No additional steps are necessary. (Be careful that filesystems
are umounted. I use autofs, that does automatical umount after some
time when the filesystem is not in use any more.)

DVD, CD-ROM, or Ultrabay disk must be inserted during boot. I cannot
exchange DVD/CD-ROM and Ultrabay disk right now. That's because during
boot /dev/hda is set up anyhow, but /dev/hdc is set up specifically
for the device that was detected at boot time. I hope that both
restrictions are waived by using idectl, the tool from hdparm Marius
has pointed out.

Cheers,
	Joachim

--
Joachim		     The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the