[ltp] Latest BIOS update on T41 running my fan faster

Peter Frühberger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:41:20 +0200

obi wrote:
>>hmmm... does it seem to increase battery life any?  does turning off
>>the option restore performance?
>

> So the patch defenitely affects the fan action: I tested with DynamicPM
> off off and the fan came on almost immedietely. Turning it on and
> starting this email and the fan went off!! Thanks Alex :)
>
> So the testing thus far (once again only using xengine and glxgears)
> gives me
> 	DynamiPM on
> 		best xengine 4398
> 		best glxgears 1029
> 	DynamicPM off
> 		best xengine 7960
> 		best glxgears 1069
>
> so yes, turning it off restore the full performance, while DRI doesn't
> seem to be affected by it.
>
> graziano
>

>>>From a seat of the pants experience it seems that the fan is more active
>>>with your patches then with the ATI driver. It comes up earlier and
>>>stays up for longer.
>>
>>to be honest I have no idea if the patch will affect the fan or not, I
>>just assumed it might since theoretically the gfx chip is using less
>>power.  Ati's driver does more stuff in HW, so it probably uses the
>>CPU less than the DRI driver.  hence your experience.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Alex
>>

>>>I'll post the radeon and ati modules somewhere next week.
>>>
>>>thanks
>>>graziano

>>>--

I made some tests with my selfbuild modules for debian sources
4.3.0.dfsg.1-6, too, here the results:
There is no difference for my Radeon Mobility 7500
enabled:
(**) RADEON(0): Option "DynamicPM" "true"
(II) RADEON(0): Dynamic Power Management Enabled
glxgears 1193.000 FPS (16 bit)
xengine  3019.8 FPS (16 bit)
glxgears 703.000 FPS (32 bit)
xengine 1545.1 FPS (32 bit)

or
disabled:
(WW) RADEON(0): Option "DynamicPM" is not used
glxgears 1188.400 FPS
xengine 3019.8 FP
glxgears 721.800 FPS (32 bit)
xengine 1545.1 FPS (32 bit)

over the weekend I do some accu testing

- --
Key-ID: 0x1A995A9B
Fingerprint: 4606 DA19 EC2E 9A0B 0157  C81B DA07 CF63 1A99 5A9B
21:19:12 [D---] Annie:
Frauen gibts viele, glaub ich.
(Stephanie W.)