[ltp] Re: Updating the BIOS without a windows partition or floppy drive.

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Jul 2004 11:17:41 +1000

On 24 Jul 2004, Rob Browning wrote:
> If you have a thinkpad without a windows partition and with no floppy
> drive, is it possible to update the bios?  For example, has anyone had
> any success using freedos and a usb key (presuming the thinkpad is new
> enough to boot from USB)?

I have not tried that, but it is theoretically sound...

> Alternately, if you do have a floppy drive, is it possible to fit
> everything you need on a disk?

Last time I looked, many of the updates were only available as a Windows
executable that would write a single floppy-disk based update.

Anyway, it is certainly possible to get away without it using a CD-ROM
and the floppy disk emulation; last time I updated my A31p I used that
technique to boot the floppy image.

          Daniel
--
Species membership in Homo-sapiens is not morally relevant. If we compare a
dog or a pig to a severely defective infant, we often find the non human to