[ltp] cpufreqd doesn't change frequency any more

Joachim Schrod linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:46:37 +0200

Hi,

This is a T41 with a 1.4 GHz CPU. I'm running 2.4.26 from kernel.org,
with cpufreq patches, module speedstep-centrino, and cpufreqd.

I'm using APM. cpufreqd is configured to turn on full speed while on
AC. After suspending-to-RAM a few times, cpufreqd does not change the
CPU speed any more. I.e., I get the following behaviour:

    pixel:infos $ cat /proc/sys/cpu/0/speed
    600000
    pixel:infos $ cat /proc/cpufreq
	      minimum CPU frequency  -  maximum CPU frequency  -  policy
    CPU  0       924000 kHz ( 66 %)  -    1400000 kHz (100 %)  -  performance

/proc/cpuinfo also has

    cpu MHz         : 598.064

When I interpret the command output above correctly, cpufreqd has
actually turned on a high speed in /proc/cpufreq, but the kernel
module does not react. So I do currently assume that the problem lies
in speedstep-centrino.

I also cannot change the CPU speed any more manually. Echoing 1400000
to /proc/sys/cpu/0/speed has no effect. Stopping cpufreqd, unloading
the kernel module, and restarting everything anew, neither.

It's not quite clear when that happens. It's not after the first
suspend, then everything still works. But after a few days, the CPU
speed is frozen as explained above. My only known cure is reboot.

I would appreciate any pointers: Where do you think the problem is? At
the module, or at cpufreqd? Maybe I need to stop/start during suspend?
Or any other workaround that enables the module to obey /proc/cpufreq
again?

Thanks in advance for any answer,

	Joachim

--
Joachim		     The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the