[ltp] Harddrive is blowing up... I need some advice

Aaron Mulder linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 12:47:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Satish Balay wrote:
> A collegue had one of these in a T41 - which crashed within the month.
> He attributes it to the HD/airbag thingy - which overzealously parks
> the head - whenever the laptop is moved arround. (this is with WinXP)

	Yeah, I pretty much only use it under Linux, and the Windows folks
here mostly put that drive in Dell laptops, so I really don't have much
experience with this feature.  One guy here has been using a T41 with
Windows for a couple weeks, and hasn't had any trouble, but it's kind of
too early to tell.

> And then there was a firmware update from IBM to fix some issues with
> this HDD.

	According to Hitachi, that update was only necessary for drives
shipped by IBM, and we've gotten the majority of ours as Hitachi OEM
parts (from NewEgg, or whatever).

Aaron