[ltp] Fan noise fix

Hamie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:59:17 +0100

Greg Meyer wrote:

>On Thursday 29 July 2004 06:16 pm, Charles Gillet wrote:
>

>>Thanks Joel,
>>
>>I have a T41 and the combination of 3.06f BIOS and this new 3.03 EMBC
>>gives me the same fan activity as 3.00 BIOS and the 3.02 EMBC.
>>
>>Feeling vindicated here as it definitely fixes the 3.06f BIOS + 3.02
>>EMBC fan noise problems I complained about a while back.  With that
>>combination, I was getting constant fan speed that I only get now when
>>/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/temperature reads around 55C.  It gets even
>>louder when things go past 60C.
>>
>>My system idles at around 38C on AC power and the fan never goes
>>completely off (sigh), but it is acceptably quiet. System is Fedora Core
>>2 w/stock kernel + fglrx X driver + ACPI.
>>

>I always wondered what a normal temp is, my systems idles at 56C on AC Power.
>Are you doing anything special to get it to run at 38C?

FWIW, I have an r50p that sits at 37-38C on AC power... In fact it's
just got to 40C now, and I'm actually using it...

The fan comes on pretty shortly after I turn it on (It's near silent at
the beginning, then starts up about 1-2 minutes later), and then never
stops, and doesn't seem to vary the speed.

I'm running the last update of firmware... Whatever that was (Not the
lastest one, but the previous latest one I updated about 2 weeks ago).

I run Debian unstable, with X.Org radeon drivers with the
powermanagement patches... It hasn't really varied from anything else,
even when I wsa running fglrx (Except now I can suspend, while fglrx
really really likes emulating windoze at that point).