[ltp] Harddrive is blowing up... I need some advice

Mendel Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:39:29 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Chris wrote:

> Now my 60 GB IBM hdd in my T30 begins to make strange sounds,
> and when I flip it I hear that inside something is loose...

This does not necessarily mean your drive is going bad. Certain models
of IBM 2.5" hdds rattle when shaken, and this is normal. I have one that
has a printed tag on it saying so.

As for other noises, well, maybe not so good, but who knows. I picked up
a cheap used 2.5" 25 GB hdd on eBay several months back, and it makes
*loud* clunking noises during operation. The drive passed all stress
tests and has been running without error so far. It was one of the early,
experimental 5400 rpm drives made back around 4 years ago.

So, like I said, who knows.