[ltp] Fan noise fix

Greg Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:32:13 -0400

On Friday 30 July 2004 08:11 pm, Charles Gillet wrote:
> I'm starting to wonder whether some folks' temperature readings are
> completely accurate.  I just saw someone post a temp of 73C.  I would
> imagine components getting faulty and loose with such dramatic
> temperature swings.  Granted that mobile processors are different, the
> last time I built a desktop, I remember having problems with crappy
> heatsinks, and the CPU temp alarms barking at around 60C.
>
> Regarding not being able to compile ... with cpuspeed+ACPI you could.
> It would take your CPU down to 600 until it cools off then speed it up
> again and back down again ... etc, but you'd get your kernel.  I just
> checked the cpudyn page, and it looks like it doesn't care about apm or
> acpi, only cpufreq support, can handle spinning down disks, but has no
> way to monitor temp to keep your laptop from overheating.

Too much work and not that big of an issue.  I have a desktop machine with a
2600+ that I am doing all my package compiling on and just using the laptop
for light work or listening to music with an external usb DAC that I can do
all over the house.  It also makes a great wireless terminal for my desktop
machine.
--
/g