[ltp] Re: T42p ordered

Volker Braun linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:06:22 -0400

On Sat, 29 May 2004 22:06:43 -0500, Jeffrey Taylor wrote:
> The firmware for the 2200 is likely to be a binary blob.  It is for
> the 2100.

The firmware for almost every piece of electronics you or I own is just a
binary blob (the only exception I could think of would be some Linux-based
wifi router). Firmware does not taint the kernel as it is not executed in
kernel space. For that, it does not matter if the firmware is hardcoded in
silicon, read from flash or fed by the driver.

Of course I would love to have the source for all the firmwares and being
able to fix the occasional serious braindamage. But, well, this is not an
ideal world yet. At least, with an open sourced driver, you might be able
to work around firmware bugs (how many kernel options are there to work
around specific hardware bugs? :-)

Cheers,
Volker