[ltp] T42p ordered

Dax Kelson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 01 Jun 2004 14:29:08 -0600

On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 22:06 -0500, Jeffrey Taylor wrote:
> Quoting Dax Kelson <dax@gurulabs.com>:
> [snip]
> > I ordered a 2373-KUU with a Dolthan 2.0Ghz CPU and a 2200BG Intel
> > wireless card. I figured the 100% open code of the Intel card would be
> > better long term than the binary blob tainting madwifi driver.
> >

> The firmware for the 2200 is likely to be a binary blob.  It is for
> the 2100.

Just like my hard drive, video card, cdrom drive, and SCSI controller.
It doesn't matter though as none of those execute in the Linux kernel.

For all intents and purposes it is *part of* the hardware.

What you want to avoid is binary blobs of code that executes on your
main CPU within your kernel context (like the madwifi driver, or the
Lucent LT winmodem driver, Nvidia, ATI, VMware, and many others).

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs