[ltp] APM suspend-to-ram stopped working on T40

Erik Iverson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 02 Jun 2004 10:46:24 -0400

Hello All,

I have a T40 running RH9.  APM (via bios) originally worked perfectly,
both suspend-to-ram and suspend-to-disk.  After I had the machine for
about 4 months, using suspend-to-ram at least 2-3 times per week, all
of a sudden it stopped working - now, when I suspend to ram, it
suspends and wakes back up within about 10 seconds.   Same behavior if
I enter the command "apm -s" or Fn-F4, X-display or console.
 Suspend-to-disk still works fine.

Going back through the logs at the time of the change, no packages were
installed during the time-frame.  I was working on some display/X/gdm
stuff at about that time, however.  The changed behavior has persisted
through multiple kernel upgrades and an EC/BIOS upgrade.

I'm running the Emperor Linux 2.4.24 kernel (yes, the machine is the
Emperor Linux Toucan).  The behavior is the same with or without apmd
running.

I don't think it's a hardware issue, as suspend-to-ram still works
perfectly if I reboot into Windows XP (fortunately, I hadn't gotten
around to deleting the partition yet).  However, I get the same
immediate wakeup if I boot into a stock original RH9 rather than the
Emperor Linux, if I boot from Tom's Root Boot, or if I boot from
Knoppix.

acpi is disabled in the kernel call.

I admit it - this has me stumped.  All of the things we've tried (I and
Emperor Tech Support) have done nothing.  As anybody seen anything like
this before?

Erik Iverson
eiverson@ornl.gov