[ltp] R40e & Power

Chris Street linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:04:50 +0100

Quite true about ACPI being young, unstable etc, but I am pretty sure the R=
40e does not support APM so we are kind of stuck....

Like I said - I haven't tried suspend, slowing the CPU etc, and ACPI seems =
to stop the volume & brightness buttons working, but the battery monitor do=
es work 'out of the box' under ACPI with Mandrake - you just need to decide=
 which you want (or be prepared to mess around a lot!).

Chris

On Thursday 03 Jun 2004 10:46, Didrik Pinte wrote:
> Le jeu 03/06/2004 =E0 11:27, Chris Street a =E9crit :
> > > On a R50, with kernel 2.6.5 (Debian/Sid), running apmd and with
> > > acpi=3Doff, i've a battery monitor running perfectly well.
> >=20
> > Interesting - does the R50 use APM, or are you using some other softwar=
e?
> > Haven't owned any other thinkpad, but it seems that what works for one =
model will not work at all on another - they are very individual...
>=20
> IBM Thinkpad BIOS are excellent with power management using APM. ACPI is
> still a young powermanagement system and it is not perfectly stable.
>=20
> Using apm, you'll have suspend-to-disk and suspend-to-ram working out of
> the box on nearly any thinkpads.
>=20
> You may try to have ACPI working on all those laptops, but you will face
> lots of litlle problems : DSDT tables, no suspend using bios (so you
> have to use software suspend like swsusp, etc.)...
>=20
> The only disadvantage of APM is that it consumes a little bit more
> batteries and that some information aren't as clear as using acpi.
>=20
> Didrik
>=20

=2D-=20