[ltp] TP770Z Sound (FC2): Update

Mendel Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 10:09:25 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

> * Try using alsamixer instead of aumix.  It has a "store" command to store
> your mixer settings.  Those might get picked up next boot.

Tried it. Nope.

> * Did you try passing isapnp=0 to the kernel command-line?  If that
> worked, you could have chosen not to recompile and just added it to your
> LILO/Grub "append" line.

Grub won't accept "isapnp=0" as a command-line parameter. It gives an
error and won't boot.

> * Recompiling your kernel is still this hard on Fedora?

I remember back in the olden days of Slack 2.2, in 1995. You *always*
had to build a custom kernel then because the stock kernel would only
recognize the "standard" hardware.

Even nowadays it would be nice if someone or some site would offer a
set of customized compiled kernel rpms for unusual hardware or to fix
problems with the stock kernel.

BTW, Kwan Lowe has a very good document on rebuilding the kernel at
http://www.digitalhermit.com/~kwan/kernel.html.