[ltp] GRUB Geom Error

Sanne N linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 04 Jun 2004 16:25:29 -0400

Hi all,

I am trying Liniux for the first time, Suse 9.1 personal on my T40 237319G .
I installed from the CD using default options (except for changing the
keyboard layout). I never touched the IBM hidden partition.
After the install, when trying to boot, the system hangs with 'GRUB Geom
Error'. I tried restoring to factory settings from the Acces IBM menu. It
seems to work, but when booting it gives the same result.
I also tried installing Suse with LILO instead. It fails with:

Error ocurred while installing  LILO
Warning: LBA32 addressing assumed
Added Linux *
Fatal: Image name, label or alias contains a blank character: 'windows 1'

and then continues to boot with the same result as previously. So I tried
modifying the lilo.conf file during setup. In the lines that goes:

other = /dev/hda1
### Don't change this comment -YaST2 identifier:
Original name: windows 1###
  label = windows_1

other = /dev/hda2
###Don't change this comment -YaST2 identifier:
Original name: windows 2###
label = windows_2

I changed 'windows 1' and 'windows_1' to simply 'windows1'. I did nothing to
the windows 2 block.
Now it fails with:

Error Ocurred while installing LILO
Added Linux *
Added windows1
Added windows_2
Added Failsafe
Fatal: open /boot/memtest.bin: No such file or directory

and gives the GRUB error again on boot. Does anyone know what this is about?
Does it look like a problem with the BIOS or the GRUB/LILO conf?
Any help or suggestion will be much appreciated, as I clearly don't have any
idea what I am doing...
Sanne

a trip to NY