[ltp] Re: GRUB Geom Error

Patrick Blomquist linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 04 Jun 2004 23:18:23 +0200

Hi,

I got GRUB geom error once. The reason were the partioning of the harddisk.
There were some problems with the bootsection. Suse placed it after cylinder
1024, but it must placed before this cylinder. Have you partioned your
harddisk correctly? just a thougth...

Patrick

Jesper Schaumburg-Müller writes:

> Hi.
>
> I think that GRUB and LILO are alternatives as bootloader. You have to
> choose either to use GRUB or to use GRUB.
> I use GRUB on my R50 Debian installation.
> The GRUB behavior is determined by /boot/grub/menu.lst (appended to the
> mail).
> I don't know if you can use it. You will of course have to edit it
> according to your configuration.
> Regards Jesper
>
> fre, 2004-06-04 kl. 22:25 skrev Sanne N:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying Liniux for the first time, Suse 9.1 personal on my T40 237319G .
>> I installed from the CD using default options (except for changing the
>> keyboard layout). I never touched the IBM hidden partition.
>> After the install, when trying to boot, the system hangs with 'GRUB Geom
>> Error'. I tried restoring to factory settings from the Acces IBM menu. It
>> seems to work, but when booting it gives the same result.
>> I also tried installing Suse with LILO instead. It fails with:
>>
>> Error ocurred while installing  LILO
>> Warning: LBA32 addressing assumed
>> Added Linux *
>> Fatal: Image name, label or alias contains a blank character: 'windows 1'
>>
>> and then continues to boot with the same result as previously. So I tried
>> modifying the lilo.conf file during setup. In the lines that goes:
>>
>> other = /dev/hda1
>> ### Don't change this comment -YaST2 identifier:
>> Original name: windows 1###
>>   label = windows_1
>>
>> other = /dev/hda2
>> ###Don't change this comment -YaST2 identifier:
>> Original name: windows 2###
>> label = windows_2
>>
>> I changed 'windows 1' and 'windows_1' to simply 'windows1'. I did nothing to
>> the windows 2 block.
>> Now it fails with:
>>
>> Error Ocurred while installing LILO
>> Added Linux *
>> Added windows1
>> Added windows_2
>> Added Failsafe
>> Fatal: open /boot/memtest.bin: No such file or directory
>>
>> and gives the GRUB error again on boot. Does anyone know what this is about?
>> Does it look like a problem with the BIOS or the GRUB/LILO conf?
>> Any help or suggestion will be much appreciated, as I clearly don't have any
>> idea what I am doing...
>> Sanne

>> Watch the online reality show Mixed Messages with a friend and enter to win
>> a trip to NY
>> http://www.msnmessenger-download.click-url.com/go/onm00200497ave/direct/01/
> --
> Jesper Schaumburg-Müller <schaumburg@johansen.tdcadsl.dk>

Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology
Agricultural University of Norway, P.O.Box 5003, 1432 Aas, Norway
http://arken.nlh.no/~pablo
Phone:+47-64948720, Fax:+47-64948810
Home:+47-64871215, Mobile: +47-95739751