[ltp] GRUB Geom Error

Sebastian Schäfer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 23:41:23 +0200

Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> schrieb am Fri, 4 Jun 2004
17:21:04 -0400 (EDT):

> As far as the geom errors, could it be that it's trying to boot
> a partition that starts after the 1024'th cylinder or something?  If
> so, you can solve it by separating the /boot or Windows system drives
> into small chunks under the 1024 line.

AFAIK it should be possible to boot a kernel after the 1024'th cylinder
with recent versions of LILO. I think this was made possible at the same
time as some early version of 2.4 was released. But as I use GRUB I'm
not so sure about that. GRUB supports doing that for sure (I depend on
it myself)

Sebastian
--
BOFH Excuse #255: