[ltp] TP770Z Sound (FC2): Update

Russell Williamson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 16:56:03 -0500

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 10:59:02PM -0700, Mendel Cooper wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
>
> Well, aumix also has a store command, and all that does is save to the
> ~/.aumixrc file, which is not loaded at next boot. I'll try alsamixer and see.

I just learned a trick for that!

Run alsamixer once to get the volume you want.
Run 'alsactl store' to save those settings in /etc/asound.state.
Add this line to your /etc/modules.conf or /etc/modprobe.conf:

post-install snd-XXXXX /usr/bin/alsactl restore

where XXXXX is your hardware-specific name. Then every time the
module is loaded, the settings will automatically be restored
to your preferences.

(Slackware has a script in /etc/cron.hourly to unload unused modules. Just
doing the 'alsactl restore' at boot is not enough, because when the modules
reload, the mixer settings return to their default muted state. This way, I
always get reasonable volume settings.)