[ltp] Thinkpad X40 and xorg-6.7.0-3

Giuseppe Castagna linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 07 Jun 2004 09:46:35 +0200

--=-4xY2+JODjVI7IqjxNJcF

Dear List,

   I have installed FC2 on my ThinkPad X40. Most of the features work
fine out-of-the-box apart from video, which has some annoying problems.
The machine uses an Intel 82852/855GM integrated graphic device. I have
tried standard FC2, changed color depths, upgraded to custom kernels and
Arjan's builds as well as to the xorg version in fedora update-testing
(6.7.0-3): the problems persist.
   The first noticeable problem is that whenever I close the laptop lid
and reopen it the upper part of the screen (about half of the size of
the gnome panel) gets corrupted since the image is shifted down of the
corresponding space. This is not annoying since a simple ctrl-alt-F1
ctrl-alt-f7 sequence restores everything.
   What is *really* annoying is that this corruption appears when I
switch to the external monitor as well (and the f1-f7 trick no longer
works since the image returns back on the LCD screen). This makes the
laptop not usable for presentations, which is one of the main uses of it
(I have to boot in WinXP to give a presentation).
   Also (but this is a minor problem), when I try to use xv with mplayer
on the external monitor, the mplayer window is blue.
   Does any of you have any suggestion on how I can overcome at least
the external monitor corruption problem? I attach my xorg.conf file.

  Thanks in advance

---Beppe---

--=-4xY2+JODjVI7IqjxNJcF

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "single head configuration"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
	RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
	FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "fbdevhw"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "freetype"
	Load  "type1"
	Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#	Option	"Xleds"		"1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#	Option	"XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#	Option	"XkbModel"	"pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#	Option	"XkbModel"	"microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#	Option	"XkbLayout"	"de"
# or:
#	Option	"XkbLayout"	"de"
#	Option	"XkbVariant"	"nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#	Option	"XkbOptions"	"ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#	Option	"XkbOptions"	"ctrl:nocaps"
#
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "keyboard"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
# Original Fedora generic mouse with scroll
#	Option	    "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
#	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
#	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
# Modification for tp-scroll