[ltp] Thinkpad X40 and xorg-6.7.0-3

Stephan Frank linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 07 Jun 2004 12:48:57 +0200

Giuseppe Castagna wrote:
> Dear List,
>
>    I have installed FC2 on my ThinkPad X40. Most of the features work
> fine out-of-the-box apart from video, which has some annoying problems.
> The machine uses an Intel 82852/855GM integrated graphic device. I have
> tried standard FC2, changed color depths, upgraded to custom kernels and
> Arjan's builds as well as to the xorg version in fedora update-testing
> (6.7.0-3): the problems persist.
>    The first noticeable problem is that whenever I close the laptop lid
> and reopen it the upper part of the screen (about half of the size of
> the gnome panel) gets corrupted since the image is shifted down of the
> corresponding space. This is not annoying since a simple ctrl-alt-F1
> ctrl-alt-f7 sequence restores everything.
>    What is *really* annoying is that this corruption appears when I
> switch to the external monitor as well (and the f1-f7 trick no longer
> works since the image returns back on the LCD screen). This makes the
> laptop not usable for presentations, which is one of the main uses of it
> (I have to boot in WinXP to give a presentation).

Hallo Guiseppe,

I think you are out of luck here. Since there is not sufficient
information available about the necessary register values there is
currently no good support for this chipset in the xfree drivers apart
from the stuff the standard BIOS calls provide. This also affects people
which have high resolution displays (1400x1050 and more) since the BIOS
is not know about such high resolutions. People are currently fiddling
with BIOS/driver routine disassembling to work out how stuff is done
under windows (see the xfree-devel list). For the moment I see two
option for you: a) try out the binary only Intel Embedded Graphics
drivers [1] (which according to the website provide Dual-display
capabilities; however, I personally did not test since this driver
currently does not support the 1400x1050 screen resolution I looked
for), or b) use a commercial X-Server like Accelerated X [2].

I hope this helps you a bit....

Kind regards,
Stephan

[1] http://developer.intel.com/design/intarch/swsup/graphics_drivers.htm