[ltp] TV out using ATI binary drivers (fglrx) on a T41p

Oliver Pajonk linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:04:30 +0200

Tony Whitmore wrote:
>  Under Windows all I
> get is a black and white image on my TV, regardless of whether I use PAL
> or NTSC (my TV can handle both).

At least this can be solved: it is a problem with most "older" TV sets
that do not have a scart-port that uses both the Y and the C part of the
TV signal created by the S-Video-TV out. The simplest solution would be
to cut your cable and put the two signals (and the shielding of course)
together. This is absolutely sufficient for my part, but on some better
TV sets one may notice a slight loss in quality. The "corrent" solution
would be a S-VHS <--> FBAS converter that is not completely trivial to
build. Some companies offer commercial converters (like
http://www.s-vid.de/, germany only, sorry), though these converters
basically do the same as putting the two signals together using a
resistor. Small scheme:

This is obviously _not_ a professional solution, but it works for me.

Oliver Pajonk

PS: A page that describes this a LOT better is this one:
http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/bastelecke/Rund%20um%20den%20PC/SVHS-FBAS-Konverter/

But: German only, sorry :(