[ltp] IBM ThinkPad R51 1830-BRG - experiences?

Frank Hornung linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 20:25:34 +0200 (MEST)

Hi everyone,

I'm searching for a Thinkpad, that satisfies my needs and works well under
Linux.
The model I would like to buy is the following:

IBM ThinkPad R51 1830-BRG
Mobile Intel Pentium M, 1700 MHz, 400 MHz Front Side Bus, 1024 KB Level 2
Cache
512 MB PC 333 DDR RAM
80 ,0 GB ATA-100 Hdd 4200 U/min
DVD Recordable: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW DVD-RAM, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM
15 Flex View TFT-Display, 1400x1050x16,7 Million Colors
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000, 32 MB DDR-SDRAM
V.92 Modem (56 Kbps Daten, 14,4 Kbps Fax)
10/100/1000 Ethernet
INTEL PRO/Wireless LAN 2200 BG Mini PCI Adapter
ThinkPad Nav (TouchPad + Trackpoint)
Sound Blaster Pro 16 kompatibles Sound System
Parallel, 2 USB 2.0-Ports, external Monitor, S-Video out, Infrared,Firewire
(IEEE 1394)
Headphones, external Mic, RJ-11 Modem-port, RJ-45
Ultrabay Enhanced

Which components do work and which one do not?
Especially, is it possible to use 1400x1050 Display Resolution? Is the
DVD-Recordable suported? etc.
I assume that the netwok card is a Intel PRO/1000, but do not certainly
know.
I have already seen at sourceforge that there is a project for the Intel
PRO/Wireless 2200BG, but there is no driver available until now. In case
there is no Linux driver I plan to use Linuxant driver loader.

I want to use Debian testing/unstable and Suse9.1

Thanks everyone for the help!

Cheers.
Frank

--
+++ Jetzt WLAN-Router für alle DSL-Einsteiger und Wechsler +++
GMX DSL-Powertarife zudem 3 Monate gratis* http://www.gmx.net/dsl