[ltp] Thinkpad X40 and xorg-6.7.0-3

Giuseppe Castagna linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:24:23 +0200

I have tried the drivers from http://www.xig.com (with kernel 2.4.7-rc3)
and according the configuration I use it either crashes the system or
enters an infinite loop with the keyboard disabled. So, this does not
seem a viable solution.Giuseppe Castagna <Giuseppe.Castagna@ens.fr>
writes:

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 09:27, Jean-Louis Leroy wrote:
> >    What is *really* annoying is that this corruption appears when I
> > switch to the external monitor as well (and the f1-f7 trick no
longer
> > works since the image returns back on the LCD screen). This makes
the
> > laptop not usable for presentations, which is one of the main uses
> > of it
>
> I'm in the same situation as you, it appears, and I didn't even know
> because I hadn't tried an external monitor yet.
>
> But here are some good news: I found out that if I kill X after
> switching to the external monitor, the image returns just there. Okay
> I loose my session in the process but it's still better than rebooting
> to XP isn't it?

Yes, in the meanwhile I had found a similar workaround. Simply boot the
X40 with the video-beamer plugged in, and the external output becomes
the default one: so the Ctrl-Alt-F1 Ctrl-Alt-F7 trick works on it, and
overlay is sent to it (so you can watch movies using xv on the external
exit).

Of course your solution is better but I am not sure that it will work
with xv since I guess the graphic driver will continue to use the
internal monitor for overlay. I will check.

Thanks a lot

---Beppe---