[ltp] Solution to the "1802: Unauthorized network card" problem in recent thinkpad systems

Mark Carroll linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 07:40:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 12:42:00AM -0700, Tisheng Chen wrote:
(snip)
> > is allowed or not. That's 0x6a, actually only
> > the bit 0x80. The program to unlock the authorization
(snip)
> You can access the CMOS memory from Linux by using /dev/nvram.

So, how does it work? Can you just fseek to position 0x6a in /dev/nvram
then read the byte, twiddle the bit, then fseek again and write the byte
out? Or does /dev/nvram not act like a regular file that you can open
read/write and then seek in?

For obvious reasons, I'm unwilling to work much of this out by experiment.
(-: I'm also having a hard time finding examples from others, although I
seem to see someone suggesting that "cat foo >/dev/nvram" re-flashes the
CMOS with image foo.

-- Mark