[ltp] Re: Solution to the "1802: Unauthorized network card" problem in recent thinkpad systems

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:11:21 +1000

On 14 Jun 2004, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 12:42:00AM -0700, Tisheng Chen wrote:
>> The other way is unbelievably simple. There is a byte
>> in CMOS which controls whether an "unauthorized" card
>> is allowed or not. That's 0x6a, actually only
>> the bit 0x80. The program to unlock the authorization
>> mechanism is like (asm):

>> The program can be downloaded from:
>> http://jcnp.pku.edu.cn/~shadow/1802/no-1802.com
>> To use this program, you need to boot to DOS.
>
> You can access the CMOS memory from Linux by using /dev/nvram.

Indeed. If you check the Linux Kernel mailing list archive for the
message with id <20040613200743.GA1251@ucw.cz>, you should find a bit of
software that toggles this bit already written for you.

         Daniel
--
There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence.